Why Vis? In this month's View from Vis blog, Upper School Director Anna Barter has some heartfelt answers to that question, particularly in regard to Visitation's impact on herself, the students and the broader community. Please read this month's blog post to see some of Dr. Barter's answers to why Vis is such a compelling place.
The combined theater department of Visitation and Saint Thomas Academy offers numerous areas of involvement to create theatrical productions throughout the school year. There are three main stage productions a year as well as a comedy improv show and a Middle School production in the winter.
Opportunities include performing, acting, singing, dancing, scenic and technical crews, costuming, script writing, stage management, box office and choreography. Auditions for each production are posted throughout the school and on each school's websites. Production dates are in the school calendar.
Following are some of the opportunities for students:
- Running Crew Runs all technical aspects of a particular production in cooperation with STA. Meets at all tech rehearsals and performances. Must be accepting of others and follow production protocol. Chosen from Scenic and Tech Crews (prioritized by contribution and seniority). Must commit to ALL rehearsals, performances and strikes.
- Scenic Crew and Tech Crew Develops and supplies technical support to theater and various other productions in cooperation with STA. Meeting times are after school and weekends. Must be accepting of others and willing to try new things.
- Theatre Council Provides student input and leadership from all areas of theater (producing, costumes, crew, Improv, etc.) in cooperation with STA. Meets every Wednesday after school and three or four special weekend meetings. Responsibilities include providing leadership throughout the school year and planning events. Chosen through an election process.
The Visitation Choirs offer many performing opportunities throughout the school year, including all-school Masses, formal concerts, holiday caroling in the community and nationwide travel. Our diverse repertoire spans sacred, classical and world music as well as pop, jazz and theater styles.
- Bel Canto is an ensemble open to all students in grades 9-12. There is no audition to join, and no prior singing experience is required. Bel Canto performs with Chamber Choir at most concerts during the year.
- Chamber Choir is an advanced ensemble open to select students in grades 10-12. There is an audition to join, and prior singing experience is required. Chamber Choir is also an honors-level credit course.
- VISTA Choir combines Bel Canto, Chamber Choir and the Saint Thomas Men’s Choir. This ensemble performs at most of the concerts throughout the school year and has toured around the United States.
VISTA is a performing arts collaboration with Saint Thomas Academy. Besides performing locally, VISTA music ensembles have traveled in the United States and Europe.
- Concert/Marching Band, open to any student with prior band experience, presents three formal concerts annually and also performs at military ceremonies and athletic and community events.
- String Orchestra offers string players of varying levels and experiences the opportunity to perform music from many different genres. The Upper School VISTA Orchestra performs in formal concerts, school Masses, the annual gala, and at other community and all-conference opportunities. A well-rounded musical experience is fostered through collaboration with the VISTA orchestra and choral programs.
- Jazz Ensemble plays music from a wide variety of genres and historical periods using saxophones, trumpets, trombones, bass, guitar, piano and drums. VISTA Jazz performs at three formal concerts and other school and community events each year.