Educating the Mind and Heart in the Visitation Tradition
The National Visitation Salesian Network created a guide for all those engaged in the educational ministries of our schools. The guide, titled Educating the Mind and Heart in the Visitation Tradition, presents the Visitation educational philosophy and our mission as educators in this tradition with six goals that reflect the charism of the Visitation.
The following are ways in which we translate these principles into action and embrace a commitment to live the Salesian spirit as we minister to the young women, girls and boys entrusted to our care.
- foster a personal relationship with God, which leads to a faith-filled vision of life.
- integrate a strong academic course of studies with a Salesian spiritual dimension.
- build faith communities which call their members to understand the value of diversity and to respect the dignity of each person.
- promote the development of liberty of spirit, which empowers students to make life-giving choices.
- embrace and model gospel values of peace and justice in order to be catalysts for positive change.
- encourage an awareness of and care for the gifts of God’s creating hand.