Curriculum & Course Catalog
School days are on a rotational schedule of A, B, and C days, and the academic year consists of two semesters. Please use the tables below to plan your four years of Upper School courses.
Visitation’s Upper School offers enrichment opportunities to students in the form of summer travel. Students may focus on service, the arts, cultural immersion or science through travel experiences that encourage global citizenship, confidence, curiosity, leadership, strong communication and a genuine appreciation for other cultures.
Please note that international travel is not guaranteed to occur every year.
Students in grades 9-12 are encouraged to participate in any of these programs:
- World Language Tours: On a rotating basis, Visitation's world language department offers immersion experiences in countries related to French, Spanish or Chinese cultures. Students participate in tours and a home-stay, deepening their love for languages and cultures and their passion for travel.
- Spoleto Study Abroad: Study drama, vocal music, visual art, instrumental music, filmmaking, photography or creative writing in beautiful Central Italy. Spoleto Study Abroad page
- VISTORY Service Trip: Partner with students from other Visitation schools to form friendships and perform service during a week-long, Salesian-centered trip to Camden, New Jersey. Contact Dr. Anna Barter for additional information.
- Team Mutomo: Learn about the culture and daily life in Zambia by spending time at schools, an orphanage, and medical and dental clinics.
- Costa Rica: On this 10-day trip, students are immersed in the study of the rain forest, focusing on the complex and fascinating leaf cutter ants. They work with a scientist to design and carry out their own experiments and present their findings. Students hike, ride horses, zipline and do other activities in the afternoons and evenings.
Costa Rica Science Research Experience: Students spend ten days in the Costa Rican rainforest, where they work alongside scientists to design and conduct their own research focused on leafcutter ants. Contact Dr. Anna Barter for additional information.
Spoleto Study Abroad: Students spend several weeks immersed in the culture and history of central Italy, where they study fine or performing arts, including drama, vocal music, visual art, instrumental music, filmmaking, photography and creative writing. Contact Dr. Anna Barter for more information.
Team Mutomo: Travel to Africa for a service experience. Learn about the culture and daily life of a particular African country, and interact with and make a positive impact on African people. Contact Dr. Anna Barter for more information. See feature article on Team Mutomo
World Language Tours: On a rotating basis, Visitation’s world language department offers immersion experiences in countries related to French, Spanish or Chinese cultures. Students participate in tours and a home-stay, deepening their love for languages and cultures and their passion for travel. Contact the world language teachers for more information.
Lunch & Learn Leadership Initiative
Lunch & Learn is a transformative leadership initiative for students in grades 9-12 at Visitation School all-girls high school. This innovative program is designed to empower and inspire our students by providing a platform for engaging with accomplished female leaders from our community, including alumnae.
We believe in the profound impact of shared experiences, and we extend a warm invitation to female leaders who generously share their unique journeys, professional insights and personal anecdotes. Through these interactions, our students gain valuable exposure to diverse career paths, invaluable life lessons, and the possibilities that lie ahead.