The combined theater department of Visitation School and Saint Thomas Academy offers numerous areas of involvement to create theatrical productions throughout the school year. There are three main stage productions a year as well as a comedy improv show and a Middle School production in the winter.
Opportunities include performing, acting, singing, dancing, scenic and technical crews, costuming, script writing, stage management, box office and choreography. Auditions for each production are posted throughout the school and on each school's websites. Production dates are in the school calendar.
Following are some of the opportunities for students:
- Scenic Crew and Tech Crew Develops and supplies technical support to theater and various other productions in cooperation with STA. Meeting times are after school and weekends. Must be accepting of others and willing to try new things.
- Running Crew Runs all technical aspects of a particular production in cooperation with STA. Meets at all tech rehearsals and performances. Must be accepting of others and follow production protocol. Chosen from Scenic and Tech Crews (prioritized by contribution and seniority). Must commit to ALL rehearsals, performances and strikes.
- Theater Council Provides student input and leadership from all areas of theater (producing, costumes, crew, Improv, etc.) in cooperation with STA. Meets every Wednesday after school and three or four special weekend meetings. Responsibilities include providing leadership throughout the school year and planning events. Chosen through an election process.
Taught by a cadre of impressive, professional musical theatre and dance artists whose credits include Broadway, national and international tours and local professional theater and dance companies such as Guthrie Theatre, Chanhassen Dinner Theatre, Ordway, Flying Foot Forum, Cowles Center for the Arts, Park Square Theatre, and Collide Dance Theatre.
This class is open to Visitation School and Saint Thomas Academy Upper School students of all skill levels. It’s an excellent way to experience a wide variety of dance forms taught by experienced, professional dancer/ choreographers. You’ll not only learn technique but also how to perform while dancing. No prior dance experience is necessary!
- Michael Gruber
- Gabrielle Dominique
- Tony Vierling
- Rush Benson
- Brian Sostek
- Dorian Brooke
Classes will be held in the Visitation Fine Arts Center on select Saturdays beginning October 1 through January 14. Dates are October 1, October 8, October 15, October 29, November 12, December 10, December 17, January 7, and January 14. You may sign up for specific classes at $12 each or purchase the entire package for $108.00.
Questions? Please contact Wendy Short-Hays. All are welcome!
- Peter and the Starcatcher by Rick Elice
- November 11,12,13,18,19,20
- Full Circle Bits and Pieces
- January 27, 28, 29
Music by Alan Menkin and Jack Feldman. Book by Harvey Fierstein
- April 21, 22, 23, 28, 29, 30