ALL Visitation School students, faculty and staff can enjoy half-off pizza or salad at select Punch Pizza locations Feb 18-22. Read for details!
A message from the Counseling Team:
Our Counseling theme this month is Chemical Health. There are age-appropriate ways for parents and teachers to talk to children about chemical health. Waiting until you are aware of use or are concerned about use is unnecessary. We hope the resources and information included here will be helpful in creating conversations in your homes.
As you were made aware last month, On April 1 State Trooper Jill Frankfurth kicked off chemical health month with a convo for the Upper School. Her presentation was a video which covered topics such as speeding, distracted driving, seatbelt use and alcohol/drug/impaired driving. Her powerpoint presentation is available here for your easy reference. Additionally, Jill shared personal and work stories and encouraged students to share their own. She also encouraged students to come to her presentation with their questions.
Education on preventing substance abuse in schools
What are we doing at Visitation to support students in a decision not to drink or use other chemicals:
- State Trooper Talk on April 1
- Sharing educational and support resources related to preventing chemical use/abuse
- Providing opportunities to discuss, share concerns and facilitate questions about chemical health
- Reinforcing and supporting each student's individual strengths and character, emphasizing healthy habits, physical exercise and non-use
- Staying connected and aware of trends and being proactive and clear in our desire to support healthy decision-making for our students
If you or someone in your family may need treatment support for an addiction please see the attached resources below or reach out to any one on the counseling team for more information.
Family Recovery Resource Experts: Family Recovery Resource Experts
Know the Truth: Know the Truth
Al-Anon and Ala teen: www.al-anon.alateen.org
Alcoholics Anonymous: www.aa.org
Crisis Call Center: For help text: "ANSWER" to 839863; 1-800-273-8255; www.crisiscallcenter.org
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233; http://www.thehotline.org/
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255; http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
Partnership for Drug Free Kids: Parent Blog: Drugfree.org
The Counseling Team